Back to menu | Back to clickable plan

Regio II - Insula II - Sacello II,II,4

This structure seems to consist of two shrines, accessible from the Decumanus through wide passages: a small room to the right, and a much larger room to the left. Both rooms have doorways leading to the adjacent mithraeum II,II,5 to the north-east, but at least one of these doors was blocked, perhaps when the mithraeum was built. The rooms were excavated in 1919.

In the small room (opus mixtum) is a geometric, black-and-white mosaic, installed c. 150 AD. In the back wall was a niche, decorated with red plaster. A doorway, now blocked with opus vittatum, to the right of the niche led to the room in which the mithraeum was installed. The large sacellum (5.20 x 14 metres; opus latericium) to the left has been dated to the mid-second century AD. The present north wall is apsidal, and made of opus vittatum from the third century AD. It probably replaces a straight north wall. A masonry base (w. 1.10, d. 0.60) for a cult statue is standing against the apsidal wall. The floor is decorated with two polychrome mosaics from the middle of the second century AD.

Plan of the Sacello

Plan of the Sacello.
Paribeni 1920, plan on p. 158.

Photographs



Back part of the room to the left. Photograph: Eric Taylor.


Back part of the room to the left, detail of the mosaic. Photograph: Eric Taylor.


Front part of the room to the left, detail of the mosaic. Photograph: Eric Taylor.


The room to the right, seen from the south. Photograph: Jan Theo Bakker.


The room to the right, detail of the mosaic. Photograph: Eric Taylor.
[jthb - 25-May-2006]