Back to menu | Back to clickable plan | Back to topic (fulleries) | Back to topic (bakeries)

Regio II - Insula VIII - Caseggiato II,VIII,9

This building, partially excavated at the end of the 19th century, is directly to the east of the Grandi Horrea (II,IX,7), across the road. The walls are of Hadrianic opus mixtum. In the centre of the building is a large round structure. The scanty remains consist of a tufa circle, without podium. It has been suggested that it was a basin, and that the building was a fulling mill.

The round structure may also have been an oven. On an old plan a basin, a floor of basalt blocks and a round object (a millstone or kneading-machine?) seem to be indicated, two rooms to the north. Therefore the building may also have been a bakery. Excavation of the north part of the building will be helpful.

A number of rooms across the street (part of a row of rooms along the east side of the Grandi Horrea) also had floors of basalt blocks.

Plan of the building

Plan of the building.
From Paschetto 1912, fig. 88.

Photographs



The remains of the oven (?), seen from the west.
Photograph: Jan Theo Bakker.



The substructure of the staircase in the central part of the building, seen from the south-east.
Photograph: Eric Taylor.

[jthb - 7-Aug-2002]